When Hollywood couples divorce, they have to deal with both the public portrayal of their split and the legal implications of their breakup.
Let’s look at what considerations are most important during a divorce and the three stars dealing with breakups in the legal system and the public eye.
Breaking Down The Divorce Process
When a couple divorces, whether famous or not, they have to deal with the same considerations as everyone else. Hollywood couples may have higher stakes when it comes to the financial implications of their divorce, but they have to go through the same legal process.
- One or both parties file a petition for Dissolution of Marriage.
- If it is a contested divorce, the other party must file an answer within 20 days.
- If there is a prenuptial agreement, the document outlines many of the details of the divorce.
- Both parties may be required to fill out additional paperwork and affidavits related to details of the divorce.
- Both parties may work together through mediation to come to an agreement.
- If no agreement is made, a trial may take place.
- A final judgment is made, and the divorce is finalized.
Depending on the complexity of the divorce, the process can happen quickly or take years to finalize as the couple works through the details of the divorce.
Related: How to File for Divorce in Florida
The Top Divorce Considerations
During a divorce, a couple has to work through a variety of details related to how they will split up their finances and property, manage their children, and move forward as separate entities.
The details that must be defined during a divorce include:
- Assets and Liabilities: The couple must audit their assets and liabilities and determine who is responsible and has ownership over major items.
- Child Custody: If a couple has children under the age of 18, they must set guidelines for child custody and who has legal and physical custody.
- Child Support: When children are involved, details of the divorce may also include the amount of money that one spouse must pay another to take care of the children.
- Spousal Support: If one spouse has a larger income than the other, they may be required to pay monthly spousal support.
- Prenuptial Agreements: If a prenuptial agreement was signed before the marriage, it may dictate the details of asset and liability division, child custody, child support, and spousal support.
How Three Celebrities Are Managing Their 2023 Divorce
In 2023, three Hollywood stars began the divorce process. Let’s look at how they are navigating the details of their divorce.
In March 2023, Reese Witherspoon filed for divorce from husband Jim Toth, citing irreconcilable differences. The couple had been married for 12 years, and they share a 10-year-old son, Tennessee. The details of Witherspoon and Toth’s divorce likely won’t need to be heavily litigated as the couple signed a prenuptial agreement in March 2011. According to Page Six, the prenuptial agreement is valid and will provide “adequate and sufficient provisions” for their assets and debts.
Per the rules of Davidson County, Tennessee, the couple is required to register for a parenting class and complete the class within 60 days. According to reports, the couple is ready to have a judge sign off on the prenuptial agreement and permanent parenting plan.
In early May 2023, Kevin Costner’s wife Christine Costner filed for divorce. Christine Costner cited irreconcilable differences as the reason to end the 18-year marriage, according to reporting by TMZ. Christine Costner is Kevin Costner’s second wife, and they share three children, ages 12, 14, and 15.
The Costners also had a prenuptial agreement. Kevin Costner’s legal response said, “spousal support to be payable to petitioner pursuant to the terms of the parties’ Premarital Agreement.” Christine Costner asked for joint custody in her filing, and it appears that her husband is in agreement on the custody agreement for their children, filing for joint custody as well.
In April 2023, just a few weeks after Drake Bell was reported missing, his wife, Janet Von Schmeling filed for divorce. The couple has been married for four years and share a one-year-old son, according to reporting by TMZ.
Von Schmeling cited irreconcilable differences as the reason for the divorce, which comes months after the couple separated in September 2022. According to reports, Von Schmeling is seeking primary legal and physical custody of their son and spousal support. She would like Bell to have visitation rights.
Navigate Divorce with a Trusted Advisor
Hollywood stars have to go through the same legal process as everyone else when ending a marriage. They have to sort through divorce proceedings and determine the best way to split up their assets, set spousal and child support payments, and create parenting plans.
If you are going through a divorce and dealing with the same issues, make sure you have a trusted attorney on your side. Don’t delay. Talk to an experienced divorce attorney right away.
Schedule a call with TJ Grimaldi to discuss the details of your situation. Contact our office or call 813-226-1023.